Friday, October 11, 2013

This is Moi

So, this is me and this is my first blog. I have wanted to write a blog for a long time, but have never found the right reason.

What do I post?

Will anyone care?

How often do I do this?

The list could go on and on. But finally, this communications class has given me the push that I needed. So, now you get to learn some things about me. Let's start with the general info:

I'm 21 years young.
I'm a Senior at Oregon State University.
I have on track to graduate with a B.S. in Speech Communications and a minor in Public Health.
I was born in Chicago, IL and raised in West Linn, Oregon.
I am a proud member of the Greek Community. 
I work on campus for International Programs.

Here is basically how I see myself:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I am an extremely clumsy person... like it's bad. My family calls me a "Bull in a china shop" because of how many things I break/knockover/trip on/fall over. You get the picture.

Some of my favorite thing are as follows:

Sushi



Seriously, I could eat the stuff for every meal... I cannot get enough of it.




I am obsessed with Elephants. My life will be complete the day that I own one. Seriously, it's on the bucket list.




This movie is the best. If you know me, you know my obsession with this film.


My number one in life is my family. I love them with all my heart. They are the ones that keep me sane and make me feel loved.



Now that you know a little bit more about me, I'm sure you are wondering... Why Communications?! What the heck am I going to do with that? Well, I can't quite answer that in complete detail but here is my story:

I started off coming into college and looking to do something with the Environment. I was inspired by the movie "The Day after Tomorrow" to pursue something in climatology and meteorology. While I was extremely interested by the topic being self-taught, I wasn't quite into the classes. I don't have much of a talent for math and while I am good at science, it no longer felt right.

I switched my focus then to Public Health. It seemed perfect at the time. It gave me the "science" feel I was looking for, without the commitment of a grand plan or immediate pursuing of a Doctorate. I loved it for a couple of years. I was doing well in the classes and enjoying the subject. After a while, I added Communications as a minor. It gave me a nice edge to be able to work better with people and the classes seemed interesting.

But, as I came into the final stretch of my Junior year, I had what I like to refer to as a "quarter-college crisis". I realized that while I loved the classes for Public Health, I didn't love what it could give me in the way of a career.

So I started thinking about what I was passionate about. The answers rounded into a lot of things, but some that stuck out were Film, Music and Popular Culture. Seriously, quiz me on just about any of these things and I will probably know the answer.




Public Health didn't really match this, but Communications does and since it was already my minor, it made the switch easy. I'm glad I had the courage to do it this late in the game. I love learning about how and why we talk and do the things we do. After all, you can't get me to shut up. The best things about the learning environment is that most people in your class are majors as well. It makes the discussions and that much more rewarding. As far as the future goes, I don't have the ideal job planned. I would love to start with an internship with a Communications Department of a major company. Kellogs, Dreamworks, ABC....?! Who knows! I also would love to inch my way into the Talent Realm of things. Working at a casting agency or for a talk-show. I don't know the next stop after college... but here's to taking the leap!

So know you know about me a little bit more about me and why I am in Communications. I hope in the series of this blog, that it will be infused with intelligence, comedy and always a dash of Pop Culture. Look out for pictures, gifs, memes, anything that you know and I know.

I hoped you enjoyed reading this and I can't wait for the next time!


P.S. ---Song obsession of the week- "Easy to Love" by the Jezabels. Check them out, awesome Indie Band from Australia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvUQ22Itxjw


No comments:

Post a Comment